Login to BlackFacts.com using your favorite Social Media Login. Click the appropriate button below and you will be redirected to your Social Media Website for confirmation and then back to Blackfacts.com once successful.
Enter the email address and password you used to join BlackFacts.com. If you cannot remember your login information, click the “Forgot Password” link to reset your password.
Egypt on Thursday announced a series of measures, including planned power cuts, to cope with the growing energy consumption caused by the intense heat wave sweeping the country.
Nationwide protests have taken place since October 7 despite the disbanding of the controversial Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) police unit.
The demonstrators have been accused of attacking police stations and personnel.
The rallies which are mostly attended by young people have become avenues to vent against corruption and unemployment.
Rights groups say at least 15 people have been killed the demonstrations began in early October.
BY SHAME MAKOSHORI ZIMBABWE’S power output plunged 39% during the seven months to July, as Harare and Lusaka moved to forestall a near catastrophe by applying limits on water outflows from Lake Kariba to bolster the reservoir’s capacity following prolonged droughts. Zambia and Zimbabwe share the hydroelectric power facility from both sides of the Zambezi at Kariba Gorge and operate the plant through the Zambezi River Authority, a co-owned outfit. The hydroelectric power facility currently generates most of Zimbabwe’s power after government completed a US$253 million upgrade two years ago, which increased output to 1 050 megawatts (MW), from about 750MW. A slowdown in output from Kariba has a huge bearing on the Zimbabwe Power Company’s capacity to power industries and domestic consumers. In its pre-budget strategy paper released last week, the Ministry of Finance indicated that output declined by 39% to 3 279GW/h during the period, from 5 337GW/h of power transmitted during the same period last year. “Electricity generation during the first seven months of 2020 declined by 39% to 3 279GW/h from 5 337GW/h sent out during the same period last year,” the strategy paper said. “This is attributed to planned reduced operating levels at Kariba Power Station in order to allow the dam to fill up following a drastic fall in reserves of usable water. The country has been facing serious electricity shortages which crippled domestic production. The situation was exacerbated by drought which resulted in low water levels in Kariba Dam, compromising hydro electricity generation in one of the major power stations in the country,” said the paper. Following the completion of the landmark power plant upgrade in 2018, Kariba promised to set the country back on the path of industrialisation, which was critical to lift millions out of poverty. But a starkly different picture has emerged in the past year, precipitated by a damaging drought in the Zambezi Valley, which limited inflows and almost turned off its turbines. The crisis was compounded by the resumption of a US$1,5 billion expansion and facelift of the Hwange thermal power plant, which kicked off last year, as Zimbabwe’s underfire government fulfilled its promise to address one of the biggest hurdles to its recovery efforts. Output at the thermal facility has often been disturbed by ongoing upgrades. But this could only be for a short period. Full generation may return around 2022. Government’s paper said after July, inflows into Lake Kariba have improved and power generation has been picking up again. “During the period under review, there has been improved generation capacity at Kariba Hydro Power plant due to continued increase in inflows into the lake as a result of normal to above normal rainfall in the Zambezi water catchment areas,” the paper noted. “To address the shortage of power in the country, government is undertaking several alternative electricity generation projects, most of which are funded by extra-budgetary funds, loans and private sector. Since the current proje
Ayesha Curry is out with the old and in with a new hairdo. On Wednesday, Oct. 28, she took to Instagram to reveal the new cover for the holiday issue of
The Nigerian Police Force has a long history of brutality and harassment which the government has fought to end by adopting many different reforms, to no end. This is majorly due to the cloak of invincibility, born out of their total lack of accountability, that shrouds the force. Although the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) has...
The post The Nigerian Police is notorious for brutality and corruption. It needs lasting reforms now appeared first on Face2Face Africa.
Britain researchers will conduct government-backed trials in which participants will be intentionally infected with a manufactured coronavirus to help speed the development of a possible vaccine.
BY PATRICIA SIBANDA/NQOBANI NDLOVU UNITED Bulawayo Hospitals (UBH) acting chief executive officer Narcacius Dzvanga has revealed that the refurbishment of the city’s main COVID-19 facility was running behind schedule and it might not be ready for use by monthend as initially planned. Dzvanga made the remarks on Friday when the inter-ministerial taskforce on COVID-19 visited the health facility to assess progress. “We were targeting to open and admit our first patient by mid-October, but the engineers have written to us to say that they are unable to meet the deadline. Even up to the end of October we still remain hopeful that the west wing could start accommodating patients, maybe first of November but our wish was mid-October,” Dzvanga said. “The project is about 95% complete, it’s a 112-bedded hospital, with intensive care beds and 16 or 18 beds, will be what we call high dependency units, then the remainder will be oxygen beds meaning that the patients, just require oxygen and good nursing care. “We think by November 1 we could admit our first patient there, but at the moment we are lodging them somewhere on site and the numbers are very few. We get daily statistics. “It’s our wish to see patients being admitted there in the purpose-built or designed unit ward.” Dzvanga said they had modernised the ward by installing ventilation pipes and plugs on the verandas as a way of creating more space. “This office can be turned into intensive care, you just need the oxygen pipe, the ventilator and the nursing staff only. That is why you might find the ICU (intensive care unit) and the HDU, it’s exactly the same types that you saw on the veranda,” he said. “ICU is usually about ventilation, but the current trend internationally is that aggressive ventilation is said to be harmful so we are not pushing for most of the patients to be on ventilation.” In a related development, the Joshua Nkomo Legacy Restoration Project (JNLRP) said the planned reopening of Ekusileni Medical Centre next month would go a long way in restoring the late Father Zimbabwe’s legacy. Government has announced that Ekusileni, which has experienced several false starts since its closure in 2004, will be ready to admit patients in the next few weeks. Vice-President Constantino Chiwenga toured the institution recently where he committed to ensure its operationalisation. The National Social Security Authority (Nssa)-owned facility was converted into a COVID-19 treatment centre. “As a foundation, we welcome talk that the government has set a date for Ekusileni reopening. We hope it is serious this time around as this is not only about Nkomo’s legacy but it is for the benefit of the people in this region and beyond,” JNLRP director Jabulani Hadebe said. The JNLRP, founded and registered in 2018, seeks to promote and sustain Nkomo’s legacy. “However, we feel there is no political will with regards to anything to do with the Joshua Nkomo legacy. It is a fact that his legacy is unparalleled, but we have people in positions of authority who will always want to do
… friend and Third Ward native, African-American George Floyd, died in May … into huge voter turnout for Black Americans in some parts of the … city’s crown jewels for African-American culture, including Texas Southern University …
NNPA NEWSWIRE — Congresswoman Joyce Beatty (OH-03), Chair of the House Financial Services Diversity and Inclusion Subcommittee, recently introduced a bill (H.R. 8595) to invalidate Executive Order 13950 and preserve diversity and inclusion training programs at federal departments and agencies as well as in the private sector. By Stacy M. Brown, NNPA Newswire Senior National […]
The post Trump’s Latest Executive Orders Seen as Attempts to Sabotage a Biden Administration and Eliminate Diversity and Inclusion Programs appeared first on The Orlando Advocate.
Anand Parekh, chief medical advisor for the Bipartisan Policy Center, lists eight things that federal, state and local governments need to prioritize to contain the Covid-19 pandemic.
ATLANTA, United States (AP) - At 90 years old and living through a global pandemic, Hannah Carson knows time may be short. She wasted no time returning her absentee ballot for this year's election.
Ari Lennox posted a gorgeous bathroom selfie today and is now the top trending topic on social media, simply for being beautiful!
My Plan to Lift Every Voice in Black America By Joe Biden There is injustice in America. There is discrimination. There is a legacy of racism and inequality that lives still in our institutions, our laws, and in too many people’s hearts that makes it harder for Black people to succeed. These are facts in … Continued
The post My Plan to Lift Every Voice in Black America appeared first on The Michigan Chronicle.
[allAfrica] As of October 20, the confirmed cases of Covid-19 from 55 African countries have reached 1,655,980. Reported deaths in Africa have reached 39,931, and recoveries 1,359,742.
Written by Stacy M. Brown By Stacy M. Brown, NNPA Newswire Senior National Correspondent @StacyBrownMedia With record early voting numbers heavily pointing to a potential landslide by Democratic Presidential Nominee Joe Biden, President Donald Trump is working behind the scenes to undermine a new administration and further divide the country. The President this week quietly signed […]
With the country in the midst of a recession, nearly eight-in-ten registered voters (79%) say the economy will be very important to them in making their
President Trump wants to paper over the living wound of racism. He’s issued Executive Orders and established a new national commission designed to whitewash our history—and deny the daily reality of being Black in America. He actively appeals to white supremacists and fans the flames of hatred and division in our country, because he thinks it benefits him politically. He ignores the most basic job of every president: the duty to care for all of us, not just those who voted for him.
By Barrington M. Salmon, NNPA Contributing Writer Sabila Khan is one of more than 209,000 American families who have lost a loved one to COVID-19 since the global pandemic slammed the United States in March of this year. On Sunday, October 4 at noon, she and others around the US publicly honored victims of coronavirus … Continued
The post Daughter of COVID victim works to honor father’s memory appeared first on New Pittsburgh Courier.
By NQOBANI NDLOVU BULAWAYO’s Queens Park suburb has recorded diarrhoea cases as more suburbs register outbreaks of the disease which claimed 13 lives in Luveve in July and infected nearly 2 000 people. Water shortages, ageing water and sewer infrastructure have been blamed for the recurrent diarrhoea outbreaks in the city. Auditor-General, Midlred Chiri, in a report tabled in Parliament, recently warned that Bulawayo risked an outbreak of water-borne diseases resulting from failure to manage sewage reticulation systems. “The community health worker for Queens Park alerted the area environmental health officer over concerns that a number of people seemed to be suffering from diarrhoea in the area. The concern was investigated and confirmed,” a council health, housing and education report read in part. However, no deaths were recorded with the report, adding that people were avoiding council clinics because they do not want to undergo COVID-19 testing. “Indications were that the affected were not willing to visit health facilities for fear of being tested for COVID-19. They were assured that it was not standard procedure that everyone who came to the clinic was tested for COVID-19, therefore, they should be free to go to the clinic,” the report added. “The community health workers were advised to encourage all affected to visit the nearest clinic for treatment as diarrhoea treatment was currently free. The area environmental health officer continued to monitor the situation.” In her report, Chiri said persistent bursting of sewage pipes and failure by councils to attend to them could result in an outbreak of fatal diseases. “Due to failure by the urban local authorities to attend to blockages within the stipulated eight to 24 hours, raw sewage is lost into the environment before reaching the treatment plants thereby contaminating water bodies,” Chiri said. “The raw sewage flowing on the ground will mix with potable water thereby resulting in water-borne diseases. Furthermore, delays in the repair of sewer blockage/chokes will result in backflow of sewage increasing pressure on inlet pipes and joints or weaker points will give in to pressure thereby causing further blockages.”
Sen. Kamala Harris won't be traveling for the next few days after a couple of staffers associated with her campaign have tested positive for COVID-19.
Republican U.S. Sen. David Perdue thought he was doing something special when he mocked Sen. Kamala Harris's name during a Trump rally in Macon, Georgia, last Friday. Instead, he sparked […]
The post Life Comes At You Fast: Perdue Mocking Of Kamala Harris Leads To Huge Ossoff Fundraising Haul appeared first on Essence.
By WI Web Staff - The number of reported global coronavirus cases hit 40 million Monday, as infections trend upward in Europe and the U.S. As of Monday afternoon, 40,246,655 coronavirus cases and 1,115,985 related [...]
Illinois Assistant Majority Leader Will Davis (D-East Hazel Crest) was joined by fellow members of the legislative Black Caucus and cosponsors of the Path to 100 Act as he announced a new diversity and equity plan for renewable energy and called to fix the state’s renewable energy funding crisis during the fall veto session. Davis … Continued
The post Illinois Assistant Majority Leader, Will Davis and Illinois State Representatives Announce New Diversity and Equity Plan for Renewable Energy, Urge Legislation to Fix Funding Crisis. appeared first on Chicago Defender.
President Donald Trump signalled Sudan would be removed from the US list of state sponsors of terrorism if it pays compensation of $335 million to American terror victims and their families.
The move would open the door for Sudan to receive much needed international loans and aid to revive its battered economy.
Sudan has been listed since 1993 when al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden lived in the country as a guest of the government.
The compensation relates to the victims of the 1998 bombings of the US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania, attacks conducted by Bin Laden’s al-Qaida network while he was living in Sudan which killed more than 200 people.
Trump made the announcement on Twitter.
Sudan's Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok, who took office last year, welcomed the announcement, also on Twitter.
The move could also help Sudan's transition to democracy. Last year a popular uprising led to the military overthrow of autocratic leader Omar al-Bashir.
A military-civilian government now rules the country with elections possible in late 2022.
The announcement, just two weeks ahead of the U.S. presidential election, also comes as the Trump administration works to get other Arab countries, such as Sudan, to join the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain’s recent recognition of Israel.
With simply days till the election, some Black voters should be grappling with whether or not to solid their vote for former Vice President Joe Biden or President Donald Trump.…
The election is 50 days out and both candidates-- President Donald Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden-- are spending time in Florida.
Education Minister Priya Manickchand yesterday announced that public schools will be reopening their doors from November 9th to hold classes for students of grades 10, 11 and 12 and she assured that COVID-19 best practices would be in place to ensure the safety of both teachers and their charges.
The article Public schools reopening November 9th for grades 10, 11 and 12 appeared first on Stabroek News.
By choosing “I agree” below, you agree that NPR’s sites use cookies, similar tracking and storage technologies, and information about the device you use to access our sites to enhance your viewing,…
By BEATRICE DUPUY Associated Press An altered photo of rappers Ice Cube and 50 Cent in hats that appear to show support for President Donald Trump circulated widely on social media Tuesday, fueled in part by a tweet by Eric Trump. 'Two great, courageous Americans,' Trump's son tweeted. He removed the tweet with a photo of the two rappers in hats saying 'Trump 2020' after being called out by Ice Cube on Twitter. In the original photo, both entertainers were wearing baseball caps with sports logos. Ice Cube's hat says 'Big3,' a reference to a 3-on-3 basketball league he co-founded, […]
The post Altered photo shows Ice Cube, 50 Cent in 'Trump 2020' hats appeared first on Black News Channel.
Suspected Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) rebels freed more than 1,300 prisoners in an assault on a jail in Beni, eastern Democratic Republic Congo.
Only about 100 prisoners after the attack on Kagbayi prison on Tuesday morning.
The ADF are a Ugandan rebel group with bases in eastern Congo.
\"We had a count before the escape of 1,456 (prisoners), 110 (of them) stayed and I thank them for that. Some 20 (escapees) have already returned and I know that others are on their way back. We'll do a tally, and work out how many have come back\", said Modeste Bakwanamaha, the mayor of Beni.
Kagbayi prison is used to hold errant army soldiers and militiamen captured in fighting, including some from the ADF.
Jail breaks are common in Congo where conditions in detention facilities are said to be very bad.