Login to BlackFacts.com using your favorite Social Media Login. Click the appropriate button below and you will be redirected to your Social Media Website for confirmation and then back to Blackfacts.com once successful.
Enter the email address and password you used to join BlackFacts.com. If you cannot remember your login information, click the “Forgot Password” link to reset your password.
By Associated Press Undefined 'Coming 2 America,' the sequel to the 1988 Eddie Murphy comedy, has landed on a date to come to audiences. The film which reunites Murphy and Arsenio Hall will debut on Amazon Prime Video on March 5, 2021, Amazon Studios said Friday. Originally a Paramount Pictures theatrical release, the studio sold the film to the streamer last month but had yet to finalize a date. 'Coming to America was a cultural phenomenon that is one of the most loved and celebrated comedies of all time,' said Jennifer Salke, head of Amazon Studios, in a statement. 'We […]
The post 'Coming 2 America' to launch on Amazon Prime in March appeared first on Black News Channel.
South Africa is one of the hardest-hit countries in Africa with over 740,000 infections.
The country recorded 60 more virus-related deaths on Wednesday, bringing the death toll to 20,011.
The U.S. hit a record number of coronavirus hospitalizations Tuesday and surpassed 1 million new confirmed cases in just the first 10 days of November amid a nationwide surge of infections that shows no signs of slowing. The new wave appears bigger and more widespread than the surges that happened in the spring and summer […]
The post US hits record COVID-19 hospitalizations amid virus surge appeared first on DefenderNetwork.com.
By Everson Mushava GOVERNMENT yesterday reviewed salaries for civil servants by 40% effective November 1, which will see teachers earn about $18 237. The amount will be inclusive of a 10% risk allowance aimed at getting the educators back at work. “Noting its obligations to pay a decent wage, government has reviewed upwards the salary increase offer to civil servants to 40% which will be awarded to deputy director grade and below,” Information minister Monica Mutsvangwa told a post-Cabinet Press briefing yesterday. “In addition to the salary increase, the teachers will also be awarded a 10% risk allowance. The new basic salary package for the teacher is now $18 237, which is above the poverty datum line. “This means that the compounded review percentage of the teacher grade salary is 1 284% since the beginning of the year. The lowest paid civil servant will receive a salary of $14 528. This is effective from November 1, 2020.” Teachers last week turned down a 20% salary hike, demanding US$520 which government insisted was unable to pay. They have been on strike since September 28 when schools reopened for examination classes. Schools opened on Monday for the last phase, but students were sent back home after teachers failed to turn up. Zimbabwe Teachers Association chief executive Sifiso Ndlovu yesterday said it was too early for teachers to comment on the new offer. “We will need to consult our membership and respond. We need to analyse the indicators from those figures. Any offer should be accompanied with the promise on when we will get to the promised land, that is the US$520 salaries,” he said.
In the Republic of Congo, women are using sports betting to cope with the effects of the coronavirus pandemic.
This is the case of Geordine Bikindou based in Pointe-Noire, the commercial city of this Central African nation. Having gone bankrupt in trading bananas, Geordine took up betting. Thanks to a friend's advice and it's going well.
''I thought I could do something else. And I have a sister who plays sports betting who advised me to play as well. And the first time I played, I won an 89 euro ticket and since that day I've had a nack for it'', she told our Erika Jocia Macket.
The single mother of one, Geordine, an unemployed pharmacy graduate, has an ambition to operate her own pharmacy.
Charlène Matongo, another bettor has also succeeded to relaunch the business, having bet one day for just 0.92 cents. Today, her situation is better than before.
''This game helps me a lot in these times of pandemic. In spite of the difficult situation, I had taken the risk of betting 0.92 cents and I had won 230 euros. This money enabled me to advance my work and to make some provisions\", Charlene said.
But in Congolese society where sports betting is dominated by men, women here have to deal with preconceived ideas, and to some extent ridicule.
''I am not ashamed of what I do. On the contrary, I am proud to play among men and I encourage other women to do so'', she added.
Reporting from Pointe Noire, Erika Jocia Macket noted that '' In these times of health crisis, sports betting has become a real activity for the benefit of all social classes. While some women take responsibility for themselves, others prefer to bet in secret away from prejudices.''
According to a recent survey, women currently make up 15% of registered bettors in Congo.
The family that was diagnosed with the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) from Moblissa is currently recovering and are expected to be discharged later this week.
The article Moblissa family recovering from COVID-19 appeared first on Stabroek News.
Twilight Centers open Monday, Wednesday, and Friday through December 30 Milwaukee Recreation Twilight Centers, safe places for middle and high school students to spend time with friends, are observing updated hours. These hours will be in effect until December 30. The following high school locations (ages 12 – 18) will be open weekday evenings (Monday/Wednesday/Friday) […]
The post Milwaukee Recreation Provides Free Evening Programming for Teens appeared first on Milwaukee Community Journal.
Analysis - With Angola's economy battling, anti-government protests have been brutally subdued. But demonstrators are not backing down, and plan to take to the streets again on Wednesday -- Angola's independence day.
Drink Up: These Are The 50 Best Bars In The World For 2020
South African prosecutors on Tuesday issued an arrest warrant for Ace Magashule, the secretary-general of the ruling African National Congress party.
It’s alleged that Magashule benefitted from a contract to audit how many houses in the province still had asbestos roofs, which was given to his close associates.
The contract was for $15 million, but only $1.2 million was spent on the audit, according to testimony at a government inquiry into corruption during former president Jacob Zuma’s time in power from 2009 to 2018.
Magashule’s pending arrest follows that of other co-accused, currently out on bail, and the seizure of assets including luxury properties and vehicles believed to be purchased from the proceeds of the contract.
Magashule has been implicated in other corruption scandals, including one where more than $19 million to help poor black farmers in the Free State province establish a large dairy business was instead funneled to Zuma’s associates.
The dairy fund was allegedly looted when Magashule was the leader of the Free State province.
Magashule’s prosecution will be the most high-profile since President Cyril Ramaphosa became president in 2018. Having put the fight against corruption high up on his list of priorities during his campaign for the presidency of the country, Ramaphosa is under pressure to show that he can effectively fight graft.
The judicial inquiry, known as the Zondo Commission, is receiving testimony describing significant corruption during former president Jacob Zuma’s tenure, from 2009 to 2018. Zuma, already facing corruption charges, has publicly lambasted the commission.
Magashule said Tuesday that he was not aware of his pending arrest and he would consult his lawyers. He spoke to reporters while campaigning for local elections in Soweto township.
The alleged financier of the 1994 Rwandan genocide, Felicien Kabuga, pleaded not guilty on Wednesday as he made his first appearance at a UN court after a quarter of a century on the run.
Once one of Rwanda's richest men, Kabuga allegedly helped set up hate media that urged ethnic Hutus to \"kill the Tutsi cockroaches\" and funded militia groups.
Now in his 80s, he was arrested in France in May and transferred to the court in The Hague in October to face charges of a key role in the killing of 800,000 Tutsis and moderate Hutus.
The frail Kabuga sat in a wheelchair behind a glass screen in the courtroom, wearing a coronavirus mask. A court official helped him adjust his headphones.
His defense lawyer Emmanuel Altit said Kabuga was \"very tired\" and \"preferred not to speak\" when asked by judge Iain Bonomy if the former businessman wanted to enter a plea.
\"Given the situation, I would be grateful if you could consider this lack of response as a plea of not guilty on all the counts, under the rules and procedures,\" Altit told the court.
Kabuga, who until his arrest near Paris was one of the world's most wanted men, had already denied the charges in his court appearances in France.
The Rwandan faces seven counts including genocide, incitement to genocide, extermination, and persecution.
The UN court will later decide if he will be transferred to its branch in Tanzania for trial.
'Contributed to deaths'
The UN says 800,000 people were murdered in a 100-day rampage that began in April 1994 in Rwanda, in scenes of horror that shocked the world.
An ally of Rwanda's then-ruling party, Kabuga allegedly helped create the Interahamwe Hutu militia group and the Radio-Television Libre des Mille Collines (RTLM), whose broadcasts incited people to murder.
The lengthy indictment, read out by a court official, said that \"RTLM broadcasts contributed to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of persons identified as Tutsi civilians.\"
The radio station also identified the hiding places of Tutsis where they were later killed, it said.
Kabuga controlled and encouraged the station's content, failed to stop the broadcasts, and defended it when the minister of information criticized the broadcasts, the indictment said.
He is also accused of helping to buy machetes that were distributed to militias and ordering them to kill Tutsis.
Kabuga spent years on the run using a succession of false passports, with investigators saying that he had been helped by a network of former Rwandan allies to evade justice.
Following his arrest in a small apartment near Paris, his lawyers argued that Kabuga -- who says he is aged 87 but according to the arrest warrant is 84 - should face trial in France for health reasons.
But France's top court ruled he should be moved to UN custody on a warrant issued in 1997 by the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR).
Kabuga was initially to be transferred to the UN court's facility in Arusha, Tanzania, which took over the ICTR's duties when it formally closed in 2015.
But a UN
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo refused to answer a question over whether or not the US State Department was standing in the way of a succesful transition by the incoming administration of President-elect Joe Biden.
On Tuesday, he told reporters that the \"transition\" to a second Trump term would be \"smooth,\" but later said the State Department was prepared for any eventuality.
A week after losing the US election, President Trump remained shut up in the White House on Tuesday, pushing an alternate reality that he is about to win and blocking Democrat Joe Biden's ability to prepare the transition.
The outgoing President has refused to concede to his opponent. President Trump has however mounted a string of flimsy court challenges in states where Biden won.
Several suits have been thrown out almost immediately and the remainder clearly have no chance of overturning Biden's slim but convincing victories in multiple states.
Donald Trump's attempt to hold on to power has become all consuming for a man who often makes a point of publicly mocking rivals as \"losers.\"
Since Election Day on November 3, he has made few public appearances and seems to have all but shelved normal presidential duties.
MORE THAN seven months into the pandemic, Covid-19 is putting education on hold for more than137 million children - 97...
The post COVID-19: Over 97 per cent of students still out of the classrooms in Latin America and the Caribbean appeared first on Voice Online.
DEAR President Emmerson Mnangagwa, BY JASMINE OPPERMAN I write this article addressing you as the immediate past chairperson of the Sadc Organ on Politics, Defence and Security. Your Excellency, I also am addressing you as a neighbour to a country which has been troubled by terrorism, wherein your country Zimbabwe has interests. This year, as the insurgency in Mozambique’s Cabo Delgado province has intensified, calls for regional intervention have grown louder. This is more than just talk: the Southern African Development Community (Sadc) is actively exploring ways to intervene, including some kind of military response. A virtual meeting of relevant Sadc committees on June 25-26 resulted in some progress. This included, according to sources, commitment from some countries for boots on the ground, but an overall strategy has not been locked down. Your Excellency, the process of doing so is frustrated by the reluctance of some countries to get involved; practical realities, such as who will fund an intervention; and Mozambique’s determination to remain “in charge” of the situation. There is no doubt that some kind of intervention is necessary, to prevent the situation from spiralling out of control. But caution is required. Walking in blindly — without understanding the complexities at play, and without addressing some of the socio-economic factors that underpin and exacerbate the violence — could make the situation even worse. A complex insurgency Your Excellency, the insurgency in Cabo Delgado, a coastal province in northern Mozambique, began in 2017 with an attack on a police station in the town of Mocimboa da Praia. Since then, the insurgency has gone from strength to strength, even though little is known about its motivations or intent. The insurgents go by the name Ahlu Sunnah Wal Jama, and have reportedly pledged allegiance to the Islamic State. This year, both the frequency and intensity of attacks have increased, and the insurgents have gained access to more sophisticated weaponry. They are yet to attempt to set up any kind of parallel governance structure, but are showing sufficient sophistication to take on Mozambique’s security forces directly. They have also demonstrated the ability to briefly occupy towns such as Mocimboa da Praia and Macomia. Your Excellency, the response from Mozambique’s security forces has been characterised by coercive tactics and human rights abuses, which risks entrenching local grievances against the State. This is a challenge for any potential regional intervention: a close alignment with the Mozambican State could make it difficult to earn trust among affected communities, which is essential for any kind of peacekeeping effort. A recent MediaFax report noted that the Mozambican government’s hardline response had left young men in Cabo Delgado feeling sympathetic to the insurgents; they are more likely to support the insurgency in response to human rights violations by the State than out of any ideological conviction. Your Excellency, Sadc and member countries risk implicating th
Ticketmaster is planning to take extra safety measures once large concerts return. The ticketing giant will require music fans to... View Article
The post Fans must prove negative COVID-19 status to attend Ticketmaster events appeared first on TheGrio.