Login to BlackFacts.com using your favorite Social Media Login. Click the appropriate button below and you will be redirected to your Social Media Website for confirmation and then back to Blackfacts.com once successful.
Enter the email address and password you used to join BlackFacts.com. If you cannot remember your login information, click the “Forgot Password” link to reset your password.
A LEGAL showdown is looming between Hwange Colliery Company and former workers after the coal mining firm cut electricity to their homes in a bid to force them out of company-owned houses. BY FRANCIS MWINDE Two weeks ago, the colliery company cut off electricity to company-owned houses occupied by former workers following their retrenchment but are refusing to vacate. Four years ago the colliery retrenched hundreds of workers both on compulsory and voluntary bases. Most of them have since gone to their respective homes. However, others are disputing the retrenchment process which they claim was fraught with irregularities resulting in them seeking legal advice on the way forward. Their lawyers, Calderwood, Bryce Hendrie and Partners, wrote a letter advising the company that their ex-employees would continue staying at their respective houses until finalisation of the matter between the two parties. Last week, the lawyers wrote a letter to Hwange Colliery threatening legal action against the company and the respective officers if the retrenched workers were not provided with electricity within forty-eight hours. “The conduct is, with respect, unlawful and constitutes proper grounds for relief at the High Court on an urgent basis. “The law frowns on persons who take the law into their own hands and we suggest that you seek legal advice on how to deal with this matter,” read part of the letter by the Bulawayo-based legal firm. Efforts to get a comment from Hwange Colliery Company were fruitless yesterday.
He replaces Debretsion Gebremichael, whose immunity from prosecution was removed Thursday.
Meanwhile, Amnesty International said Thursday that scores of civilians were killed in a \"massacre\" in the Tigray region, that witnesses blamed on forces backing the local ruling party.
The \"massacre\" is the first reported incident of large-scale civilian fatalities in a week-old conflict between the regional ruling party, the Tigray People's Liberation Front (TPLF), and the government of Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed, winner of last year's Nobel Peace Prize.
\"Amnesty International can today confirm... that scores, and likely hundreds, of people were stabbed or hacked to death in Mai-Kadra (May Cadera) town in the southwest of Ethiopia's Tigray Region on the night of 9 November,\" the rights group said in a report.
Amnesty said it had \"digitally verified gruesome photographs and videos of bodies strewn across the town or being carried away on stretchers.\"
The dead \"had gaping wounds that appear to have been inflicted by sharp weapons such as knives and machetes,\" Amnesty said, citing witness accounts.
Witnesses said the attack was carried out by TPLF-aligned forces after a defeat at the hands of the Ethiopian military, though Amnesty said it \"has not been able to confirm who was responsible for the killings\".
It nonetheless called on TPLF commanders and officials to \"make clear to their forces and their supporters that deliberate attacks on civilians are absolutely prohibited and constitute war crimes\".
Abiy ordered military operations in Tigray on November 4, saying they were prompted by a TPLF attack on federal military camps -- a claim the party denies.
The region has been under a communications blackout ever since, making it difficult to verify competing claims on the ground.
Abiy said Thursday his army had made major gains in western Tigray.
Thousands of Ethiopians have fled across the border into neighboring Sudan, and the UN is sounding the alarm about a humanitarian crisis in Tigray.
Kyrie 6 & Air Max 1 Highlight Nike's N7 Winter Collection
MDC Alliance leader Nelson Chamisa yesterday said he stood in solidarity with people who fight to promote professionalism at the courts. BY MIRIAM MANGWAYA Chamisa yesterday attended the bail hearing at the Harare Magistrates Court for incarcerated journalist Hopewell Chin’ono who is accused of posting tweets which the State alleges jeopardised the trial of Henrietta Rushwaya in her gold smuggling case. “I am here in solidarity with those who fight to promote professionalism and ensure justice prevails,” he said. Chin’ono, however, is arguing that his tweets do not constitute an offence as he was merely performing his duty as a journalist. He refused to name his sources from the National Prosecuting Authority, whom he claimed had told him that the State was not going to oppose Rushwaya bail, saying he was exercising his journalistic privilege. Chin’ono, who is being represented by Beatrice Mtetwa and Gift Mtisi, filed an application for a bail and awaits ruling from Magistrate Marehwanazvo Gofa today. This is the second time Chin’ono has been arrested this year, after being arrested in July ahead of the foiled July 31 protests and accused of plotting to remove President Emmerson Mnangagwa’s government.
Brittany Pickens shares why she started The Juice Girl, how she is differentiating herself, and advice for women starting a business during the pandemic.
[spotlight] It is mid-morning on a Wednesday in Extension 8, a township area in Makhanda in the Eastern Cape. Children line the fence with their containers, eager for their first meal of the day from Lulama Maseti's pop-up soup kitchen. Judging by the looks, chatter and size of the queue, it seems school is closed for the day so many learners cannot get their usual school meal.
INDIANAPOLIS RECORDER — hool diploma may take the high school equivalency test for free. Adult basic education classes to help prepare for the test are free as well.
By Aaron Allen, The Seattle Medium The 2020 election season has been historical for African Americans both locally and nationally. From Kamala Harris, the first Black woman to win the seat of Vice President of the United States, to an unprecedented show of political force as African Americans claimed a record number of seats in the […]
The post 2020 Election Was Historic For Washington State’s African American Community appeared first on Afro.
New Delhi - The Indian government has amended its rules to bring streaming platforms and digital news outlets under the purview of the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, which already regulates television programs and movie, [...]
[Nyasa Times] The High Court is holding the landmark judges bribery case through video conference, the first of its kind in the hearing of cases in the country.
Angolan police fired live ammunition and used tear gas against youths protesting against poverty Wednesday in Luanda.
Protests against the government, usually met with violence, have been going on for several weeks in Luanda, motivated by high unemployment, the cost of living, and state corruption.
Protesters, supported by UNITA, the main opposition party, also called for local elections, which had been postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic to be held.
Demonstrations were rare when current President Joao Lourenco succeeded Jose Eduardo dos Santos in 2017, raising hopes for change after decades of corruption and nepotism.
But disenchantment has swelled in recent months with the government, which is seen as unable to deliver on its promises to rid itself of corruption and revive the economy.
narvikk/iStockBy MORGAN WINSOR, EMILY SHAPIRO and IVAN PEREIRA, ABC News (NEW YORK) - A pandemic of the novel coronavirus has now killed more than 1.2 million people worldwide. Over 51.5…
Virginia reported more than 1,500 new coronavirus cases again Thursday, continuing a recent surge in cases after months of relative steadiness.
Concern over alcohol and drugs has always been real. However, the impact of America's policies has not been a reduction in substance abuse, but the subjugation of minorities and people of color.
By BILL BARROW and BEN NADLER Associated Press ATLANTA (AP) — Jon Ossoff took the stage in Columbus and looked out over a parking lot filled with cars, with supporters blaring their horns in approval as he declared that 'change has come to Georgia.' Hours earlier, Republican Sen. Kelly Loeffler stepped to a microphone in suburban Atlanta and addressed hundreds of eager supporters packed into the Cobb County GOP headquarters. The freshman senator and her Florida colleague, Sen. Marco Rubio, stirred the crowd with their insistence that the change offered by Ossoff and his fellow Democratic Senate hopeful Raphael Warnock […]
The post Dems, GOP take different approaches on Georgia Senate blitz appeared first on Black News Channel.
By Elaine Hegwood Bowen, M.S.J. Six Thrilling Works Crafted Specifically for the Digital Platform— only $75 Virtual Memberships are on sale for the Steppenwolf NOW virtual stage featuring six breakthrough stories written by some of America’s most talented voices. Steppenwolf NOW offers a dynamic and innovative slate of immersive and visual experiences, radio plays, bite-sized […]
By MICHAEL BALSAMO and ERIC TUCKER Associated Press WASHINGTON (AP) — A Justice Department report has found former Labor Secretary Alex Acosta exercised 'poor judgment' in handling an investigation into wealthy financier Jeffrey Epstein when he was a top federal prosecutor in Florida. The report, obtained by The Associated Press, is a culmination of an investigation by the Justice Department's Office of Professional Responsibility over Acosta's handling of a secret plea deal with Epstein, who had been accused of sexually abusing dozens of underage girls. The report also concludes that none of the prosecutors committed misconduct in their interactions with […]
The post Justice Dept.: 'Poor judgment' used in Epstein plea deal appeared first on Black News Channel.